Header

Header

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Run in the snow... or drifts... or whatever you call them

So I was able to get in a longer run yesterday. I wanted to get my longer run in on Sunday, as normal, but being sick makes it tough. You really have to balance that. I was told one time, back in the 80's when I was at the Olympic Training Center, that for every day you train when you are sick, adds 3 more days on to your recovery, or illness. I don't know if there is any documentation on that, but it has stuck with me and I am pretty respectful of that. However, we all know that there different levels of sickness. A runny nost is not the same as the flu. And the intensity of your workout needs to come into play. You can often get in an 'easy' workout when you are feeling pooly too.

Anyway, I was able to run yesterday, and how could you not? It was a snow day from school, sunny, and so much fresh snow. Fortunately the plows had been out and there was enough room for the cars and runners. However, there are some cars that seem top think that they do not need to move their steering wheel 1" because it's too difficult and then need to see how close they can come to you. I have hit cars with my hand before on the rear quarter panel. It makes a resignating 'thump' that is pretty impressive. Ironically, they never come back to yell at me because they know that they came too close and they deserved it. Because if they did not, and they heard that thump, they would have thought they hit someone... but they know exactly what happened. So, on my run, I had a few of those. It really does not bother me too much, but sometimes I get sick of it. I just wonder when I am going to snap again. Because really, what arguement can a car make? A pedestrain ALWAYS has the right of way and you must yield to them. I'm not crossing the friggin' road, simply running along it, on the side. How difficult is it to slow down, or move over a tad? I was actually thinking of having a sticker in my hand ready to 'slap' on the side of cars with some witty saying, but that would just be too much work. And it's not like it happens all the time, and if you did that you would be looking for it to happen. Though it always does.

On my run yesterday I had very kind people as well. Some stopped in the road to let me pass because there were cars on the other side. Some went way over to the other side. Some saw me from way off and switched lanes (4 lane roads). So I don't want to make it seem like people don't do the right thing form time to time. Actually, I have to say that a majority of the time it's great. I try and wave to all those cars that give me a little extra room. Because I figure, if they see that I notice, they will do it for other runners too and it might be me again as well.

Then there are those that are on their phones, or texting. I don't know if they see ANYTHING when they are driving. There was actually a guy killed, a triathlete, because he was hit while a guy was texting. I don't know how they will make it possible to text with a bluetooth, but folks, texting while driving isn't a good combination. I think you will see the state get rich by the fines they generate from that this year. But more importantly, I hope that no one gets hurt in the process.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love that you actually hit cars when they pass by you too close! Picturing that makes me laugh. What a great idea! I know that personally, I feel like I have so much more respect for people who are running or biking on the roads now that I do it myself. I have become one of those people who will switch lanes the second I see someone out there to give them as much room as possible. Gives you a little bit more respect for those people when you have seen your life flash before your eyes yourself when a car has come WAY too close for comfort! Hope you're feeling better!

LORIE said...

lvd ths post. thx 4 remndrs. gld ur bck! --send--