Header

Header

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday Feb 17th



Today was a pretty good day starting off with the traditional Mornings With Martin swim. It was pretty fun this morning because I can see each person that swims in the same lane as me getting faster. I don't know if I am, I like to think so. But the improvement everyone els has made is very impressive. We swam some longer sets today, and people all hung in there and no one got lapped. Which I have to say is the 1st time we have incorporated 200s and no one got lapped. I know people were bustin' their butts not to get caught, and I know people get faster because of that. Granted, sometimes they look like a friggin' steamboat in the water spinning their arms as fast as they can, but they do get stronger.

We ended the swim today with 12 50s which always seem to go pretty fast because the rest interval is so short and it feels like you just keep going. But the people in my lane rotated in the position behind me. I kept it steady and swam what I would normally swim steady 50s at. And every person was able to hang in there. They were touching my toes going both directions. I was really impressed. I know some of the people really pushed it and swam harder than they ever probably wanted to, but I think it was a lot of fun and people realized what they can ‘potentially’ do, and are capable of doing. Now it’s the choice of weather or not to do it. Fun swim.

Then of course I normally run on Sundays…as do so many other people. It was a beautiful day today… probably 45 degrees and sunny. I stayed inside most of the day doing projects and cleaning bikes up. Jessi went for her run and I was going to run when she got home. But instead, I got hungry and made Emma and me some big ass blueberry pancakes and bacon—at 3:30pm. Not the ideal time to put that kind of carbs in the body, but I wanted to and Emma agreed. I figured I would have 1 hr before I would need to leave to be able to still run in the daylight. Well, Jessi came home talking about how beautiful the weather was and how it seemed like Spring. I was feeling like a stuffed whale, but I figured in an hour I could still bust it out. Instead of running, I fell asleep. When I woke up and mustered enough energy to get going it was 5:15pm and the sun was disappearing. So, it turned into a typical weekday winter run. I grabbed all my warmer clothing (clothing for weather 35 degrees and below), my reflective gear, and headlamp and off I went. My legs felt a little fagged (had to throw that word in). But they eventually started to rebound about 45 minutes into the run and I started to feel better. It would have been easy to postpone the run until tomorrow, but I knew I would be frustrated that I procrastinated so much.

3 comments:

jessithompson said...

I had a blast swimming with you this morning... and yes, trying to catch you. :) That's what you get for being so darn cute! Thanks for your encouragement for me and everyone in our lane. You really push the pace and keep everyone bustin' their buns. You are incredibly talented, fast, and yet you barely look like you're working. It's impressive to watch!

Tiffany said...

I had a blast at the swim too. Trying to keep up with you just about killed me, but it was fun. The most incredible thing for me, as I was sprinting behind you, was thinking, "Hmmm, so this is what it's like to be Roger swimming a 50, minus not being able to breathe." Watching you swim is pretty cool and very inspiring.

Nice job getting your run in. I wish I would have been at your house at around 3:30. Breakfast in the middle of the day sounds awesome!

Oh yeah, sorry to hear your legs were feeling "fagged" yesterday...LOL!

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Rog-
Your athletic ability and self-discipline always amazes and inspires me. I'm up at this hour on a Monday morning about to head out into the rain for a "fast walk" before I get ready to go to school.

However... it's also a relief to hear that there are moments where you might splurge and eat pancakes and bacon...even in the middle of the day! I love that you and Emma had them together!

Yet, even after the nap, you pushed yourself to get out there!
Way to go!
Love Linda