Header

Header

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Saturday Feb 16th





We received about 1-2 inches of snow overnight that was a little disappointing. But I figured that it would probably melt overnight… it didn’t. Sara, one of our club members was hosting the BAT (bikes and trainers) at her house and many people realized that getting out on the road might be a little tough. I thought that I would eventually be able to get out, but it might be a little sloppy… or some might actually call it slushy :) I received multiple calls that day saying that there was no way that I would be able to ride on the road. Got one call form Rick P. that said he was going to ride for 4 hours and that I could join him since there was no way I could get on the road. Had another person call and ask if I had seen the roads… it would be impossible. And then the call of calls came. A person actually said, “You can’t ride in this weather.” Now, there are a few things that spur me on… ask anyone that knows me. One of those things is the statement, “You Can’t.” The list is pretty long of things that I was told I could not do. Mark could probably tell you a dozen of them off the top of his head. Maybe a post for another time. We have all heard the standard saying that there is no such thing as can’t, and, don’t use that word, or, yes you can… whatever motivates you… great. But I think I might be motivated to prove people wrong. I had a short conversation with a mom of a past student of mine recently. I will write a post on that one. I felt like all I was saying is why you can, when she was trying tell me why I couldn’t. Not to mention the challenge that it poses when someone says you can’t.

Anyway, I posted it on the tri forum that I was planning on riding outside, and people were trying to call my bluff. Mark never did. Of course he comes from a cycling background and knows some of the weather we did 3-4 hour rides in when we were 15 year olds. Wet roads really never deterred us at all. Watch the European races. They go over mountain passes while it’s snowing… and accumulating on the roads. And guess what? There is a winner. Someone does finish first and finish last. And every person has a story that they will never forget. Besides, I will take a ride in the cold and wet over a ride on the trainer any day.

As I got all of my riding gear on, I emerged from the basement. Jessi was working on the computer and looked up to see something that resembled a snowmobiler and a cyclist. It was the typical cold weather riding gear... nothing special at all. She just looked at me and smiled. So you're going to go huh? I said of course. It looked like a good day for a ride. She called my bluff and said, "You are going on this ride out of spite aren't you?" I said, "Maybe a little." but deep down inside me, I am a cyclist. And cyclists ride on the road. I love to race in the rain, the wind, and the cold weather... always have. So to go out and train in this was simply an opportunity. An opportunity to know that I am out there getting in quality miles, and so many others are not.

So Jessi got up and grabbed Emma. I asked what she was doing. She said that she was going to go and take pictures because only the people who really knew me would believe you rode today. She just needed a few pictures to document it for those people that wouldn't.

So off I went and had a nice 2 hour ride.





7 comments:

jessithompson said...

You are hard core, baby! I had a great time documenting the adventure. Emma loved giving you a "feed station" at the turn around by sharing her cookie with you.

Your spirit inspires me and helps me look for opportunity where others make excuses. YOU ARE A STUD!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure if this is still passion, or insanity! However, you never let a little inclement weather keep you from riding when you were young(er), so why should you change? Love your family's enthusiasm and support.
Love, Mom

LORIE said...

I am impressed. . . but I have heard the stories from Mark. . . so not surprised.

Tiffany said...

2 words: HARD CORE!!! Nice to see some pics on your blog!

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

What???...You stubborn?
What???...You hard core?
What???...You out there when they said it couldn't be done?

No surprises here!
Your perseverence is inspiring!
Love Linda

Kim Herring said...

Now I know why I am keeping my old mountain bike - I can get some miles in outside before the weather gets good enough to muck up my new bike. Thank you for the inspiration!

Steve said...

I was really wondering if the outside ride was still going to happen. Definitely a bit of CRAZY must be involved.