Header

Header

Friday, June 27, 2008

Medical Lake Trailblazer Triathlon

This is the first open water triathlon in the immediate Spokane area. I like this race for a few reasons.

1. It's close to home
2. The race starts at 1:00, yes 1:00
3. This is the one and only triathlon that the distances are 'exact same' from year to year because you swim across a lake. Granted, their measurement isn't exact, but it has been the same for over 25 years
4. You get a variety of people from veterans to first timers
5. They offer to haul you over to the start in the back of trucks (seriously)
6. They give you your award and t-shirt right when you cross the line
7. It's a fun low key race... that hurts.

Normally this race is 1 week prior to IM Cda so it's a great pre race effort. But this year it was the day before so it did not get as big a turnout as years past. But about 150 were still in attendance. I have raced this evet 2 times prior. The first time getting second to Tom Soderdahl (pro from Finland riding for TIMEX), and last year I was first. And this year the perennial favorite, Michael Bergquist, would not be racing since he would be doing IM Cda th next day. Michael literally lives on the course. His house is spitting distance from the start and he trains exclusively on this course. So he knows it well. So well that wherever he racks his bike... so do I, wherever he starts on the swim... so do I. Wherever he is, and whatever he does, is for a tactical advantage. But Michael wold not be racing so I would have to wing it.

This year was a little up in the air this year because my pre race preparations had been anything but decent leading up to this. Most the week's focus was on getting things ready for IM Cda which neither Jessi nor I were involved in, but would be spectating and be there the entire day. So periodically we would have to remind ourselves that we have a race to do on Saturday. In other words, mentally we were not really 'there.'

We rolled into the race site at about 11:30am (1.5 hours prior) and the transition area was practically full. Pretty amazing that people get here so early for such a small race. But I think that has to do with a 1:00pm start time... who isn't up by then. I was able to get a decent spot after talking with many people before even getting into transition. That's what I love about local races... you get to see so many familiar faces and connect with people. But this also consumes the time pretty quickly and therefore I find myself scrambling to get to the start.

I finally got my area set up and was able to get in a little warm up ride as well. When I got back, they were loading up the participants in the back of trucks and were ready to start heading over to the other side of the lake. I normally swim across the lake since it's about 400 meters... not too far. You can honestly make it over there faster swimming than in the back of a truck. I realized that I did not have a swim cap (normally given to us) so Michael went and grabbed me one from his house. He knows every second counts :)
Looks like a bunch of seals sunning themselves on the rocks

I then swam across the lake, which always feels pretty good and I was able to find some friendly faces at the start and we had about 10 minutes before the start. So the typical conversations started to happen and the surface humor was abundant. But it always helps before a race... it helps you feel like you are in this with a bunch of people just like you. There was a gal, Samantha, who is/was a NCAA record holder in the butterfly and free in this race so I figured I would not be the first to the ramp.

The gun, or something, went off and the race started. The swim start is spread all out. So not too deep but very wide. I took off and settled in quickly. I could see people to the right of me, since that is the side I breathe to. Since my eye sight is not all that good I was doing my best to go straight. I eventually could see where we exited and focused on that. I was first out and ran up the grassy hill and was out of my B70 suit quickly and on the road.
I settled in on my TTX and watched my watts. I really wanted them to stay at 100 the entire race :) (just thought I would throw that in for all you number people). The bike felt okay, but I did not feel strong on the bike. More like I was just out there 'doing it.' I did not see anyone and just wanted to maintain a consistent effort.

I came into T2 quickly and racked my bike.... actually Michael grabbed it for me and got it in the rack since my bike was a little too tall for the racks they had. I know, 'outside assistance,' but don't think I gained any time by it, only protected my bike from falling over and getting damaged.

I headed out on the slightly less than 3 mile run. It just goes around the lake. There was a guy in this race that can run a 15 minute 5k so I had to have a decent gap on him. When I came out of T2 herd someone say '20 seconds.' Crap! I must only have 20 seconds on 2nd place. Man, this is not good. I took off and quickly tried to get into a steady rhythm. I just never felt 'smooth.' Not that I ever do in a print race, but I just did not feel like I was going very fast. I never looked back because I did not want to know how close someone was. If it was Josh (the 15 min 5k guy), and he was 20 seconds back, he would catch me. He could have been 1 minute back and still would have caught me...maybe even 2 minutes.

It was pretty hot and humid so I was actually looking forward to the one aid station on the backside of the run. I could see where it was set up and my body was already anticipating the water. As I approached it, I saw that it was a couple water jugs and a stack of cups. What!? You have got to be kidding. am supposed to stop and fill up my own cup. My thirst got worse because I knew I was not going to stop. Only about 1.5 miles to go... I could make it. I finally made the final turn and could see the finish line about 400 meters down the road. I kept truckin' and with about 100 to go, I looked back just in case there was someone that was 20 yards back. You get passed in the last few yards unexpectedly, you never let it happen again. And yes, it has happened once, only once.
Love the picture of Emma and Linda off my left shoulder

I crossed the line first, but felt more like a 5th place performance. I defended my Founder's Day title. Now I can let it go. I will still race this race, but you only have to defend once. After that it's just bonuses in my opinion. Think about it, everyone talks about the defending champion and wondering if they will repeat. After they do, it's not a surprise. Just a thought.

I stayed and cheered in the rest of the athletes. I think I was literally the last person the leave. You know how it is... you get to chatting with people and next thing you know it's 4:00pm. But then again it started at 1:00.
A shout out to Jessi who had a great race on what we have found out to be a more severe injury in her lower back than we had first suspected. This race probably did not help that, but 2nd place overall is a nice accomplishment too.

9 comments:

Spokane Al said...

100 watts for a race? The bike must be all downhill.

Congratulations on another great race. You sure look strong in your finish photo.

And I trust Jessie's issue will get resolved quickly and relatively easily.

Tiffany said...

Congrats on defending your title, Robbie!! You are wicked fast...that's really all I can say! :) Must be nice to feel "off" and still come in first!

Trish said...

Sounds like you had a great race, even if it didn't feel like it. Congrats on defending your title! I am glad the pressure is off for next year. Phew! I agree with Tiff, you are wicked fast! Hope the rest of your season continues to go this well!

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Since Y2K, only Canadian pro Michael Simpson had managed to beat me in a sprint in this region. If an Athena from an earlier wave hadn’t made me crash and get stuck under a police cruiser, then he probably wouldn’t have won. Aside from that race, over eight years to last year’s Trailblazer, I was unbeaten our region’s sprints. You brought that streak to an end with a phenomenal ride. My slim lead evaporated in T1 and I was not only unable to keep pace on the bike, but it didn’t take too long until I couldn’t keep you in sight. Byers passed me, but my race was with you. Starting the run :20 behind Byers helped get me off to a quick start, but after reeling him in at 1.25 miles, you were well out of sight and the race was over. I usually run 16:15 to 16:45, but would have had to run 15:15 to catch you (I’m not Bresson). For the first time I can recall, I wasn’t just beaten, but defeated as I cruised on in. I appreciated that you were the only one to make an excuse for me because of my breathing, but your rule #76 is at odds with that. No excuses! I was hoping you’d come back and race this year, but fate had a different plan for me. It was hard to stand on the side lines and watch others do a race that I prefer over all others. In so many ways, it really is the perfect race.

All that said, there’s no other athlete in the area that I’d rather lose to. You’re an awesome talent in so many ways. Having you in the race, along with McCoy, really helped me from being bitter about not racing. So many times I’d love to watch a race, but would rather race it. I didn’t have that option this time, so it was fun for me to get to see you perform. As many races as the two of us do, I find it odd that we are very rarely in the same one. Being a numbers guy, I got to do a lot of commentating for you in the race. You have a lot of fans who were really curious about the way this was going to unfold. I predicted you’d lead from start to finish. Standing there in transition with so many of your fans, it was fun to share some history, numbers and predict when you’d come around the corner on the bike. You were 9 seconds late, but we all forgave you. Seeing you with binoculars running on the back side of the lake, we even had a projected finish time for you, which was pretty close too. Instead of doing the math for my race, I was able to do it for yours. Thanks for making it a bit more fun for me. You held a significant margin over McCoy at the end (1:46). Josh is a strong runner, but was only able to close about 42 seconds on you with roughly a 17:07. So congrats again on defending and another win among the quickly growing tally you have for the year. Regardless of how you do, you have a great attitude and are well respected for it. Thanks for a great report. Thanks for the kind words about me too. *Sorry this was so long, but hey … I like the Trailblazer!

M-Dot said...

Roger;
Congrats way to go! It's hard to keep going when you aren't into it. But, you were it just took awhile to get the ol' motor roln' again.
Nice job.

Michelle and Jay

jessithompson said...

You are awesome babe. It was fun to go and do this with you. I loved hanging with you and the rest of the gang before the race started. It's good to keep laughing and keep everything in perspective. You do a great job of that. I love you.

rr said...

Hey rockstar - nice work! Great race, you write very cool, detailed rrs, perfect for a non-racing loser like moi :) Congrats!

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi Rog!
It was great to be at that race with Amy and Jenna and see you run such a great race! Congrats!

Tough to see that last picture of Jessi in so much pain...she had a great race too.

Love, Linda

Kim said...

Geez the pic of you winning to jess on the ground is almost too much for these hormones! So glad you pulled one out RT. Hope to cheer you on to victory tomorrow as well. Good luck in Post Falls!

k