Header

Header

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Blue Lake Club Championships

Hailed as one of the Pacific Northwest’s favorites and the Tri Northwest Club Championships, I had to attend. It was a crazy week leading up to this race. With school ending and grades needing to be in, there were some long nights and the training this week was sub par. We had a home stay coming when we came back from Finland to race IM Cda, and had people coming to look at our home that was listed. Emma had a dance recital on Saturday night in Spokane which was over at about 9:00pm. The race was in Portland, OR on Sunday at 8:00am. So doing the math, we had to drive 6 hours, sleep about 3 hours, and race like we were ready. Kind of a tall order really. But we made it. We were fortunate enough to have some good friends in Natalie and Greg Gallagher join us in this adventure. They watched Emma’s recital as well. Everything said, ‘this is probably is not a good week.’ But I had just come off of a disappointing experience at ITU Worlds and wanted to get a race in.

So, now the race. With a field of over 450 participants, it’s a pretty big race. They have a self proclaimed ‘elite’ field, but it’s basically part of the age group results with an ideal transition spot and they get to start first with a field of 20. My wave started 1 minute behind and my transition spot was pretty good. So I decided not to switch my division and thought it would be nice to ‘chase’ than be chased. Knowing that I was hypothetically 1 minute behind the favorites on the bike would make me want to chase them down.

So after getting my B70 Helix on and heading down to the water, I was kind of excited to get a swim in. I HAD been swimming pretty well, but did not get to test that out at ITU Worlds. I had a crappy swim here last year and was hoping to go a bit faster. The elite wave took off and we were next. The countdown started and next thing you knew, it was ‘go time.’ I started fast and found some clear water right away. There was a guy swimming faster that came up next to me and I got on his feet… and then he swam away. Darn it! But after that, I had open water until I started swimming through the elite wave. There were men and women in this field, so I had not clue who I was passing. I was feeling solid and had a good turnover. As I rounded the last buoy and was heading for home, I felt good.

I got out and headed for my bike quickly getting out of my suit and running up the short hill. I got to my bike and glanced over to see that a couple elites were in there transitioning as well, but the rest must be out on the bike. I quickly passed one of the elites and was on the hunt for the rest. At the first turnaround I took a split on the lead guy and started looking for some of the guys that I normally gage my placement by… but I did not see them. After I rounded the turnaround, I started seeing who was behind me. The guys that I was worried about were actually behind me. I passed them in the swim. Wow, the swim went better than I thought. Now I needed to put some time on them. There were still a few guys up the road, but there was also a duathlon going on and it was hard to tell who was doing what. All I knew was that if there was someone in front, I needed to catch them and put time on them. I caught everyone but the lead guy. I just could not close on him. I was thinking that it was the guy who swam away from me and he was just having a great day. The bike went okay for me. I seemed to put out a decent amount of power and I felt very comfortable on my Trek TTX. But I did have some moments that I just felt like I was fading. Nothing horrible, but I did not feel like I had in past races. It might have been a mental thing knowing that someone was ahead of me, or it could have been the lack of sleep that I figured would start to play a part later I this race.

I eventually came into T2 in second place. I thought I was about 1 minute down and blazed through T2. I started out on the run trying to get into a good pace, but I also could see that there were guys coming in to T2 behind me. Mostly elites that I was actually 1 minute more ahead of… nice thing to have in the bank :). As I was approaching the first mile I was closing fast on the 1st place guy… he was running pretty slow for how fast he rode. As I approached him, I gave him some words of encouragement and realized he was pretty much done. I later found out that he was a duathlete, so I was chasing someone that was not even in my same race. So the short of it is that I started 1 minute behind the elite wave and rode through them all in the first 2 miles of the bike and now I was trying to maintain that lead on the run.

I had some pretty good runners behind me and at the turnaround I would have an idea how far back they really were. The first person I saw was Ben Greenfield. I was about 1:04 ahead at the turn… plus the 1 minute he started ahead so really over 2 minutes up. I knew that would be tough to close, and really, unless I totally fell apart, it would not happen. With less than 3 miles to go I was feeling it though, but was still moving along fine. At this point though I wanted to be the first to finish. I did not want to get passed. After a few more ups and downs and turns, I was within a half a mile, and then the finish was in sight. I crossed first, and about 50 seconds back was Ben. I thought we got 1-2, but the guy who swam so fast in my wave snuck into the 2nd spot so Ben ended up 3rd.
It was a pretty good race. I had some stomach issues, but nothing that ruined my race. This is a pretty non technical course, so I really don’t have too much of an advantage. The bike is straight out, flat, and pretty fast. The run is similar with more turns and a few ups and downs. So I felt I performed well. I don’t know if the lack of sleep played a role, or if a stressful week did, but a win is a win and I felt like I was able to stay in the race and not get frustrated. Some redemption from ITU Worlds, and my swim is coming along. I was a little disappointed in my run, but everyone seemed to run a little slower.
The club I raced for, Tri Fusion (www.tri-fusion.com) I believe was again named Club Champions for the second year in a row. Pretty cool.

So, there you have it, two races in a row in anything but ideal conditions. But you race them anyway and make 'no excuses… play like a champion.’

9 comments:

jessithompson said...

It sure was fun to see everyone down there and feel all the TF love out on the course! It was great to see you out on the bike and run - kickin' ars and takin' names. Way to go, baby, especially considering what the week before was like not to mention the night before. Love you!!!

Matt said...

Great race Roger! I enjoyed seeing so many people representing T-F out there in those sweet suits! IT was also great to hear your name being annouced as winning as I was heading out on the run.

Trish said...

Way to go on your race RT! It was SO fun to watch you "chase" down the elite athletes and still come out #1! I am continually floored when I watch you perform and I really enjoyed cheering for you (and the other TF peeps) at this race! I still can't believe you won on 3 hours of sleep! I can't even walk straight on 3 hours of sleep! This race had a great turnout by the club and it was a super fun weekend! And might I add that our new team gear looked AWESOME!!

-Tricia :)

Anonymous said...

Excellent effort and performance, Roger!!!

Thanks for the recent advice on wetsuit purchase. I felt like a bobber on a fishing line, in the waves on Medical Lake that night! Gonna take some practice, I expect. My first mistake was being there at Coney Island Park by myself, trying to get this wetsuit zipped up by myself ... gave up (after about 7 minutes of sweating, determined contortions and more than one blasphemous expression) and sought out a street kid to zip me up. He'd never seen a zipper that started at the top, and tried to convince me that this wetsuit I'd just purchased and never before used had a faulty zipper, only attached on one side.

Anyhow, you did a great race, Rog, and we're all mighty proud of you!

Love,
Tim

Ali Ty Stitt said...

I really love the positive effort and dedication you have for this sport. You are an amazing athlete, and I really enjoy watching and hearing about your races. This one is my favorite, as you would rather chase people then being chased...and you set out to catch them... great job with the lack of sleep... you really pushed hard for the team and for yourself, and truly are a talented hard working triathlete! I know so many enjoy seeing you race and are very proud of you! I should start calling you the super tri-man!! lol :)
Ali

Anonymous said...

Great race, great effort, great results! So glad for a satisfying race after World's. You certainly deserve it. Can't believe that you can perform so well with so little sleep. Ah, youth!
Congrats on your accomplishment!
Love, Mom

Tiffany said...

Way to go, Robbie! Only you could drive all night, sleep for 2 hours, and still come out on top! You are amazing!!! Thanks for the pics!

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Hi Rog!
Love this post, all the details, and the pictures as well!
Really an impressive race, especially after almost no sleep!

Way to go!
Love Linda

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Reading about your start in your age group, a minute behind the "elite" athletes, brings back some good memories. I call it hunting when I head out onto the run to chase people down. Nice work out there racing with little sleep after driving so many miles and coming out on top. Your speed on the bike is really impressive. I've seen it first hand ... although not for as long as I would have liked as you pulled away too quickly. Perhaps they'll let you race elite next year. At least they gave you bib number one one one.