Header

Header

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Getting Better In Canada


Saturday, August 25th.

The Day Before Ironman Canada


This morning I found a little more relief from the stomach tension I have been experiencing the last few days. It's definitely still there, but not quite as frequent or intense. I know I can tolerate the pain in the race, but my concern is the absorbtion of fluids and nutrition when racing under tough conditions. But there is really nothing I can do but take care of myself and rest. If I cannot get fluids and nutrition in, I'm pretty much dead in the water. A boat without gas is simply driftwood.


According to theweatherchannel.com it is supposed to be a high of 71 degrees and about 10mph winds. Morning is supposed to be about 55. So conditions look pretty good from my perspective. I wish they were a bit cooler with a little rain, but it should be good conditions for a long day of racing.


The support up here has been great in terms of friends coming up and supporting the 8 Tri Fusion people racing. I'm excited to see them all out there tomorrow whether it's from the top of Richter, or from a car, or from a road side bitro. A familiar face that knows you name is always welcomed.


I'm looking forward to tomorrow no matter what happens. There is a lot of work, time, and sacrafice that goes into one of these days made by so many people. I think I am 'blessed' and it is a true 'gift to my life' that I have such amazing friends that would take time out of their vacation time to come up and join us in this day of celebration. And to think that Kona could be even bigger? Yikes.

10 comments:

LORIE said...

Roger. . . .hang in there. Fresh Pineapple is a nature enzyme for the gut. . .

Tiffany said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Hopefully tomorrow you'll be close to 100%. I'm so excited to see your blog has finally been updated! Best of luck to you tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you all day!

The Farrell Family said...

Can't wait to hear about the race. We'll keep updated online and via phone. Hope your recovery continues this evening.

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Rog- You've been in my thoughts and prayers all day...as you will be tomorrow...for a complete recovery and absorption of food and liquids.

No matter how it goes...we are PROUD OF YOU!!!

We'll be staying updated online! Love, Linda

Kim Herring said...

Hey Rog - It's mid-morning on Sunday and it looks like you had a GREAT swim. I'll keep watching the results and look forward to once again another intriguing race report.

Anonymous said...

You ROCK, Roger! We've been following your progress eagerly from home (glad we had an early morning replacement of our modem, so we could catch the happenings on the ironman website) and are so proud of your guts and perspective. Way to give it your best try.

We know of your having to stop after the bike, and we also know that your experience and wisdom in making these choices is mature and well-considered. We love you! We're looking forward to spending a week like you've just had (with better health of course) in Kona.

A hug and warm smile from all 3 of us!

Tim, Kris and Anna

Anonymous said...

Roger,
I hope you are doing well. You are amazing no matter how the race turns out. I'm glad you started your blog again. You inspire so many to dig deep and challenge themselves.

Cindy T

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Rog-
You are a great role model for guts, determination and courage...all of which you showed on Sunday.

And you are a great role model for mature and healthy decion making when you stopped after the bike...you did what was best for your body and overall health.

I admire both qualities!

The bug you have seems to be quite prevalent suddenly in Spokane...headache. dizzy, feeling really ill and super upset stomach.

We hope you will be on the mend soon!

God Bless! Love Linda

Anonymous said...

Coach of the coach: Mike and I watched the Ironman Canada on Sunday diligently as we watch all of your "Ironman" competitions, albeit you haven't know about our deep and abiding interest in your accomplishments. We really enjoyed your support and kind words at WunderWoman - you and Kathi were definitely bright spots in our lives that Sunday. We often hear about you from Kathi via her vivaciously told stories and heard about this weekend at her home today. We always wish you well and send prayers your way whenever you compete, but now we actually know how hard you train for each triathlon. You completed two legs of Ironman Canada despite terrible physical limitations beyond your control. Do you know what an inspiration you have been and now, will continue to be to those of us 60-year-olds watching and rooting for you, especially from our computers, watching you participate? We will be home in plenty of time for Ironman Kona and yes, we will be Control+F, looking for Roger Thompson, all the way. You are an astonishing person, teacher, friend, but most of all, coach.
Love, Rachael and Mike

tak2lmt said...

I swim like driftwood. I totally agree a little cooler and rain would be great. I love those conditions.