Header

Header

Saturday, April 26, 2008

New Toys


I got the call yesterday from Robin at Fitness Fanatics that it was in. She left the message on my phone at about 3:30pm, right after the students left my class. As she was saying, "I got a really cool wheel here with your name on it," I could hardly type the numbers in to call her back to let her know that I was on my way. It was like I heard my name announced on the radio to claim $100,000 and I only had 1 minute to respond. I was so excited. The long anticipated wheel was here!

Robin ordered this for me a little bit go and I knew it would take a little time to get in. These wheels are really hard to get and Zipp is just finally getting them out. I figured it would be a bit longer, but the surprise came at a good time... in time for Wildflower next weekend.

I want to say a huge thank you to Robin, and all the great staff at Fitness Fanatics (Haley, Katie, John, and Morgan) for always being there to help me out. They all do so much for the sport of triathlon. I always appreciate that they don't try to just sell you random equipment and get you on 'a bike.' They get you the right equipment and get you on the 'right bike.'

I also treated myself to some new running shoes that they have that are also pretty tough to get right now. They are the new Zoot shoes. They are specifically designed for multisport. I have been wanting to get these for quite some time. They have been designed so well. All the Zoot shoes (3 total) are less than 9 ounces, which is what most racing flats weigh. Another benefit is that the inside of the shoe does not have any seams... none! So you can run sockless whenever you want. Love that.

They slightly longer heel tab is easy to grab and also has a rubber piece that if you have sweaty hands, or you are just clumsy, they won't slip off.

No more buying speed laces (elastic laces of any kind) because they come standard in these shoes... standard! You just pull on the end cord and you're done. Gotta factor that in when you are buying a pair.

A carbon fiber inlaid sole keeps the weight down, but also give you the stability and support you need. It's so great to see companies looking outside the box in designing shoes. Get this, they have a self draining sole... are you kidding? Amazing. So when you are dumping water over your head, and on your body, your shoes no longer fill up and slosh. Brilliant! I think this just might be the ticket to finally get me to jump into Lake Cda during the IM run.

You don't have to be a multisport athlete to wear these, but they were developed with them in mind. Folks, there are not some gimmicky shoes with some fluorescent colors that say that they will make you run faster... these are a brilliantly designed shoe that offers everything that the multisport athlete wants. Light weight, comfort, ease top get in and plenty of support. Check them out at Fitness Fanatics.

8 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Wow - your new wheel is an absolute beauty! It is amazing looking.

And I second your thoughts on Fitness Fanatics. Robin and the gang are absolutely the best!

Anonymous said...

I can just hear that disk flying by!

Tiffany said...

I was there to witness your excitement of your new wheel and it was pretty fun to watch. Just like a kid in a candy store! I'm happy for you that you have your new wheel and that you picked up a pair of those shoes. They look awesome! Looks like you're going to be even faster out there!!

jessithompson said...

You are so cute showing off your new toys! You always appreciate great equipment and new technology... you love learning about it and trying it out. I love getting your hand me downs!!! :) I'm glad the disc came before Wildflower so you can try it out. Love you, babe!

M-Dot said...

Whoosh..... Whiz whiz whiz.... whisk whisk whisk... What the heck.
Oh that's Roger Thompson cleaning up again :)

Awesome Wheel!!!

You are gonna Rock Widflower wish we could be there to see it.

Jay and Michelle

Anonymous said...

Some hot looking new toys! They should just be the ticket at Wildflower. I ran into someone in line at the grocery store with a Wildflower jacket on and he knows you (I think his name is Troy ??) He was just getting his bike rack on the car since they are driving down.
I know this is a big one so good luck and know that we are cheering for you here in Spokane.
Love, Mom

rr said...

Nice new toys Roger! I've PR'd my IM marathon and 70.3 run in the zoot racers - they rock!

Anonymous said...

We're thinking of you as you prepare for Wildflower, Rog -- we know this is a big one. I wish it was up here so we could watch and cheer. Know that we'll be thinking of you, though. You can walk Bloomsday with us and tell us the details!

I saw Haley Cooper this evening at Bangkok Thai, and she said she's going down for the race -- looks ready for it.

Glad you got some fun new toys to try out, Rog -- make 'em hum!!

Love,
Tim