Header

Header

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Elements...I like their touch

A recent addition to my training and racing season this year, is regularly scheduling a massage. I used to get massage when things went south...sore muscles, strained muscles, etc. But I thought I would be more pro active this season and shoot for once a week. I know the benefits, but I just did not take advantage of them.

  • Increased blood flow
  • Increased joint range of motion
  • Increased flexibility
  • Increased elimination of exercise waste products- lactic acid
  • Decreased muscle tension
  • Increased relaxation of nerves
  • Ultimately, enhanced recovery for future training/building
  • Reduce injury

The north side Elements Therapeutic Massage is located near my house, so there is really no excuse since they are open ~ 11 hours a day, 7 days a week

Though they offer a variety of packages and types of massages, I normally get the deep tissue massage. If you have not had a deep tissue (more sports related), it's not about light touch and falling asleep. It's a "grit your teeth and try to relax" experience. Ya, I like a little torture in the week. But the advantages I have noticed are substantially less lower back issues, more flexibility in my hamstrings and I am bouncing back after the massage more quickly. Having a person tell me where some 'trouble' spots are that I can work on is super beneficial. The therapist is always able to find some 'hot spots' that do not seem to be too happy with me...go figure?

Wherever you choose to go, make it a part of your regular routine...just like intervals or endurance days...I think you will see the benefits quickly.





No comments: