Header

Header

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


We all have these days. Sometimes we can explain them, other times we cannot. I had one this morning.

Owen got up at 3:50am to eat and Jessi responded. I did not look at the clock because I wanted to 'think' I had more time before my alarm went off at 4:10am...BEEP BEEP...my alarm goes off and Lloyd (100 lb black lab) gets up and steps on my head. I'm up.

I go and feed Lloyd and start my coffee only to find out we are out of coffee cups. But we have more, out in the garage. Another break in the regular pattern. I got my coffee, added one of the last sweeteners, and had one of Jessi's home made muffins. Things seemed to be going well.

I grabbed my running gear and was ready to run in the rain after a swim. I hopped in the car and loaded up my swim bag. In doing so, I took out a few things in order to get my running clothes in it (foreshadowing?)

Upon driving to the club, I realize I forgot my water bottle...oh well. I will survive.

I pull into the parking lot and see an open spot right up front, but then another car swoops in and takes it. I drive another lap and park in the back row.

I get changed and am ready to swim, and then realize I forgot my swim cap. Not the end of the world...just need to rinse really well afterward and use my SBR Tri Swim shampoo.

I walk into the pool and see that every lane has 2 people in it. One has an "aqua aerobic" person in it. I decide to jump in with her...she glares. As I unpacked my bag, I discovered one of the items I pulled out and did not replace was my pull buoy. Crap. I will survive.

I started my warm up and felt like maybe the water was "thicker" than normal. But that's why we all warm up.

I do my first kick set and come in 15 seconds per 50 slower than normal. That felt crappy.

I then do a 100 steady and come in 10 seconds slower than I should have at that effort and my form felt disjointed. I try again with similar results. I resign to a 500 easy and just 'swim.' I honestly felt like I was drowning. I decide to call it a day after 20 minutes.

I place my bag in front of my locker and hit the shower. When I get back from the shower there is a guy sitting right in front of my bag changing to work out...seriously? The place is empty and he picks the only place where there is a bag? The guy smells of well aged cheese and a back alley bar in England after a soccer game...and he's panting for some reason.

I change, grab my gear, and head out. As I was walking out of the club I hear my name called. A couple people I vaguely know are on the treadmills. So I go over and say 'hi.' They said they saw me come in and thought I got up early to only workout for 15 minutes. I said 20...not counting the shower.

I then drive home, sit in the driveway a few minutes, and ponder what the hell just happened. I have a few options right now. I choose going back to bed. I go in to the house and find my Lloyd, my dog, in the spot I had left. He is reluctant to move, but does. I laid down and Jessi asked how my swim was (this is now 5:15 am). I said, 'Horrible, I felt like I was drowning, so I came home.' She said, 'Keep it in perspective.' I tried to fall asleep again.

Now, this is really not that bad of a morning. Granted, it's about a 1 hr 30 min time frame, but I can't remember the last time where I just could not pull out a swim. Maybe being 40 has finally hit me and I am getting weak. I don't think so.

What I take from this is, my next workout will be amazing.

As Emma always says, "If this is the worst thing that happens today, it's still a pretty good day." But it's only 6:30am. There is a lot of day left though, but I will take her advice.

No comments: