Header

Header

Thursday, May 26, 2011

You can lead a horse to water...

I think there is a saying that starts something like that. Or is it, "You can buy a cyclist a mt. bike, but you can't make him ride it." But that does not seem to be the case lately. Since riding for the TIMEX Multisport Team, a lot of opportunities have come my way. It's been amazing. One opportunity was getting a mt. bike a couple years ago. I have always wanted one, but really could not justify the expense. But a couple years ago I was able to. Since then I use my mt bike for recovery rides, riding in the winter, riding when roads are horrific, or getting out with a different group of people. It has afforded me a variety of riding options. But I had never raced it. The thought had crossed my mind, but it never seemed to work out. Until recently...

Eric Ewing and Gino Liesiecki put on the Wednesday Night Mt Bike Series. Though mt. bikers are their own 'group' with special skills, the group is painted with a broad brush of abilities...kind of like triathletes (but I am not making ANY comparison). But what I like about the mt. bike group is that there is really no expectation of anyone. You get quite a diverse group of bikes, dress, and people. But I will say this...don't judge. Just because a guy has hairy legs and a third eye mirror, does not mean he won't school you (yes, it happened, and he even was shooting video at the same time, check it out HERE). Anyway, I showed up and threw down what I was able to.
Staging...and wondering what it is I am doing

And we are off...

The first race was a hoot, 3 laps of a 5.1 mile circuit. When I was registering I was hoping to casually sneak into the 2 lap race, but the folks at registration only laughed and check the 3 lap option. It was then when I was handed my timing chip where I asked if this went around my pant leg to keep the grease off it. I then asked if we would be regrouping at the top of all the major climbs so we all stay together? Though the officials got a kick out of it, I am not too sure if the other racers knew if I was serious or not. I took my chip, number, and twist ties and headed back to my steed (bike...but since it's a mt bike, it's really more like a large animal...with suspension).

As I was fastening the number to the front of my mt. bike (which was hard for me to do since it's about the most un-aerodynamic thing I have ever done to a bike), I ran into a lot of people I knew from years past. I asked them a lot of questions about the course, what pressure they were running, tubeless or not...you know, traditional questions. Before we lined up, I had to let the race director know I had some concerns on the course. I saw that on some of the corners there was loose dirt, and I noticed that from time to time there were rocks on the trail. Fortunately, I have known Gino since I was a 13 year old junior cyclist and he knows how to dish it right back.

As we all lined up, I did not really know where to stage myself. Nothing worse than slowing people down. So I started a couple rows back in the mass of 100 riders. The start was quick, like a crit, and the 5+ abreast pack quickly split apart when we came to some road-covering puddles. "What?" Mt. bikers avoiding mud in a race? I really did not have an option so I went flying through the small lake. In doing so, I got wet and my shoes were soaking...oh well. But when I was going through it, water was blasting to the sides of me, like a boat, and dousing the people next to me. Cool.

Lap 1, under my belt.


We eventually hit some single track and I saw that I was definitely towards the front. Probably sitting about 18th ish. My initial racing self thought, "Great, up front." Then my common sense self thought, "Crap, this is going to hurt at this pace." You see, I kind of wanted to do this race and 'enjoy' it. Get out on the course and cruise along at a good pace and have fun. You know, group up and ride together. NOPE. Not where I was. I was following the wheel in front of me and holding on for dear life. I had no clue where I was going. Rocks, trees, sharp sandy turns, stumps, berms, more rocks, more trees. I fund myself saying silently to my bike, "Sorry for this." But with full suspension, I am blown away what a bike can do. All I need to do is hold on for dear life. But there are some limiters. Like I don't think I can go through trees...literally. I saw my PowerBar waterbottle on my bike wondering why in the hell I brought it since I was NEVER going to take my hands of the bars.

After a 2 laps I found myself in a group of 4. We seemed to be moving along quite well. The two guys in front of me seemed to like to dictate the lines. And I appreciated that. As we climbed each hill, I felt like my legs were going to stop turning around, but we were approaching the finish. Since it was a single track for the last bit, I knew that this would be the finish order. I was perfectly fine with that. These 2 guys pulled me along and I was not about to pip them at the finish. I had to sprint though as to not let the 4th guy beat me and to give the finish some respect.


Tough finish, but it's a finish

It was a great 1st race. I ended up 12th overall. Not too bad for triathlete on a mt. bike. However, I often wondered if I could have gone the same speed on my tri bike. But after all was said and done, I was able to look at the data from the race. HOLY SH-Cow. My avg HR and watts were similar to what I do in an Oly bike leg! Yet it was not consistent at all. The power spikes were incredible. It looked a lot more like a criterium than anything else. And it was also about 1 hour long. Nice speed/power intervals. However, my HR was a bit higher because I was probably more fearful of dieing than anything else.

The second race was a bit different. It was a 1 lap race on what would be in 3 days, the 24 Hour Mt Bike Race. That was good to know since I was going to be in that race too. Nice to get to know the course a bit. This time I had a better understanding of the dynamics of the start and what, in general, happens. I lined up on the front, and questioned if this was a good idea. The horn sounded the start of the race, and we were off. I took off strong and then eased up a bit because I did not want to 'lead' the race. I settled into about 7 place back into the single track.

Start of Race #2

Good spot as we hit the first hill. I know this would be a leg burner since it was at the start and people would hit it hard to maintain their spot, or try and move up. Once to the top it opened up and I moved up a spot or two. I was in contact with the front until a guy went down on a rock bed section. CRAP! I had to almost stop and then swerve and go into some forest o get around. The leaders were now off the front by about 30 yards and moving fast. Double Crap. I hooked up with another person and we cruised along until I realized they were riding the technical section so much better than I was. The gap was growing and I knew I was working waaay to hard to try and catch. So I settled in and started riding steady. I caught a guy on the flats that got spit out the back of the leaders and it was nice to have some company. As we climbed a steep hill he lost traction and spilled over. I kept climbing and was waiting for him to rejoin. Now, this is where I made a mistake. There are two ways to take a certain decent on this course. The fast way, and the slow way. But I did not know which was which. I guessed, and, well, though it was 'safe, it was the slow way. Once I got to the bottom I could see the guy I was riding with was 1/2 mile up the trail. Crap Crap Crap! Fortunately it was through some flat sections and I slipped into TT mode and started closing. I passed a couple other people, who were also behind me, and continued my quest. After chasing for about 10 minutes, I caught them. I stayed with them until the end of the race where it finishes on about 1/2 mile flat 1 lane road. I was happy to stay behind the guy that navigated me through the trees and rocks, but he said he wanted me to pull through and go. So I went to the front, thinking that he would jump on my wheel, but as we rounded a corner, I could see him on the inside. So I wound it up for the last 1/4 mile and finished strong. It was a fun race an a pretty quick course. I ended up 6th overall. Compared to the last race, I worked harder (according to watts) and the race was about the same distance. All in all, great.

Finish of Race #2

Afterward, everyone hung out with a beer in hand (they have a keg after each race) and shared their war stories. Pretty cool. I caught up with Greg and Cris to find out how their "first race" went, and they were both ecstatic! I know they will be asking me if I am going to come to the next one. Cris just bought a mt. bike the day before the race. Crazy.

Natalie and Greg with Owen

Me, Cris, and Greg post race.

I am sure I am telling an awesome story :)

Big shout out to Greg W, my old coach, for tunin' up my suspension and tires before the race. Apparently I had it all messed up and he got it dialed in. Whew. He knows bikes and how to make them perform to what they are designed to.

I cannot say thanks enough times to my family, Jessi, Emma, and Owen for coming out to the two races as well. It's a big quest for them to hang out in the woods and cheer me on. They are so supportive and patient. And because of them, I am able to post some pictures too. It's always nice to finish seeing Emma cheering her heart out. And it's a definitely a new look to see Jessi with the jogger again. It takes more time, and it's more work, but it's such an amazing gift. My family is awesome.

Just like when I was a kid, my parents signed me up for something that I did not want to do... only later to find out that I loved it... get out there any try something new. I am too old to learn any new tricks, but I think I found a bone I like.

2 comments:

BRFOOT said...

Great read. You must have been talking about devils down, with the fast or slow way to go. The fast way looks intimidating but you just have to trust your suspension and hang off the back a little. Good job!! We will probably come watch this weekend. Good luck.

jessithompson said...

Love you tons and tons. Fun to see you guys out there with big grins filled with teeth covered in mud! :-)