Header

Header

Monday, March 21, 2011

Oceanside in less than 2 weeks


Well, what was once so far away, is less than 2 weeks away. The snow has finally lifted from most of the roads and the weather has been stable... stable as in not snowing too much.

I have a bit of history with this race. I raced this event for the first time 2004 when I saw it as one of the best races in the US, maybe the world. Wow, what a wake up call. If you think your training has been going well here in the PNW, go down to southern California and you will soon find out that there are 500 other people that will show you where all your deficiencies are. In 2004 a lot went wrong, (broken chain) but the fact that I was down there, and in one of the biggest races of the season, was pretty cool. As I have told a few people, you cannot show up there and have a marginal race and expect to walk away with a high placing. There is no hiding. In 2004 I was 32nd in my age group. Most races don't even have 32 people in an age group.

I went back in 2006 and was able to move up to 21st. Race went better. Had a decent swim, way better bike, and struggled on the run. Damn run. But it always sets a baseline to where you 'think' you are, and the reality of where you are. That year I had a great season qualifying for Hawaii in Cda and finishing 5th in my age group in IM Canada and 33rd overall. It was a great season full of racing.

My final race in Oceanside was back in 2007. I was focusing on IMs again and knew this was the race to start with...again. I moved up to the 35-39 age group which meant, well, nothing really. I placed 19th in my age group and 6 people were within one minute of my time. 2nd place was 8 minutes. So to think things get easier as you get older is a myth. That day was a pretty similar day to 2006. Good swim, faster bike by 10 minutes, sub par run. But, it is what it is and I learned from it...again.

So that brings me to the current day. My swimming has been more consistent and a larger volume. I am hoping that will translate into a similar time with less effort. I can't say there has been any real changes, just hoping for some benefits :) My shoulder has been holding on. A few hiccups along the way, but nothing that has been too serious. (shoulder problems resulting from getting hit by a car last May).

My riding has been a bit hit an miss. I have been able to get out on the road a couple times this season. Once on my mt bike and a couple on my road bike. I think last year at this time I had been on the road quite a few times. So I would suspect I am a tad behind there. I will have to keep that in mind when I am comparing my prior seasons there relative to this year. But I feel smarter, if that means anything.

The run has been good in terms of staying healthy. I had a problem back in November with my calf that set me back, but that all seems to be in check at the moment. No real speedwork. Just out jogging along at this point. Probably why I tend to joke with people, "Why run when you will probably end up walking anyway." Joking of course.

I think the best part of my training this season is the way that Jessi, Emma, and I have worked it into all our schedule. I really feel that this season I have not missed anything 'family' related, and I have been able to be there when we are all home. It seems like in prior seasons I have trained when I wanted to, often waiting until the weather was perfect. Which also meant that it was mid day when the family was up and rolling. Now I tend to do it in the early morning, or when Emma is swimming, or in transitional times. It really helps out with staying connected and being there for one another.

So it's a new way of training for me, and I like it. Now we will see how it translates into racing. I am not expecting a miracle by any means. Just looking forward to a performance that I think I am capable of. This will be my first 1/2 IM in 3.5 years...and first triathlon in 1.5 years. I feel a little out of the loop. Do I need to eat during these events...I can't remember?

Hope everyone's training is going well. Those of you that will be in Oceanside in less than 2 weeks, I hope your day exceeds what you thought was possible.

6 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Good luck buddy. It is good to read that you are on your way back.

Roger Thompson said...

Thanks Al. I want to put some emphasis on "on your way." Hope all is well with you and your early season training is going well.

Roger

jessithompson said...

I am BEYOND proud of you. And in the big picture of life, as we have learned, it's the time with your family (and the closeness of relationships that are a result) that reap bigger rewards than any finish time or award.

I adore you and love you with all my heart. xoxo

Michael W. Bergquist said...

I have absolutely no idea how you were able to get so freaking fast as a parent! People said a child would change my life. It did, but what I found is that it changed my training more than anything. There's no going out for a workout, a couple workouts, heading off to races, etc. without some help, planning ahead and being very efficient with my time.

Looking back at what you have done absolutely amazes me. I was impressed with what you were able to do before, but now that I'm "in your shoes" so-to-speak, I wonder how you were competitive at all during a time you were smashing every record and athlete in your path.

Michael W. Bergquist said...

... oh, and good luck at the race!

Roger Thompson said...

Michael,

Thanks for the kind words. I wish there was an easy way to do it...there isn't. I have to say that Jessi was, and is, a HUGE part in it all. You are right when you say it requires some planning. It requires a lot of foresight and planning. Where trouble seems to enter is when you decide to do something at the last minute. That tends to frustrate everyone.

I have changed my training even more this season than in the past. Jessi and I communicate even more than we did before, which is good. We plan the whole week out ahead of time, look at the family commitments, other requirements, and then slot in the training accordingly. It means that I occasionally miss some training, but down the road, it really has no impact. I make sure to hit the key workouts for the week, and that allows me to still be there for Emma and Jessi.

There is a way, it's just different. It means earlier mornings, later nights, paying babysitters, etc. But one aspect that Jessi and I always account for each week is time where it's just the two of us. A time away from home where we can sit and talk about whatever without disruptions. That is really important.

Hope being a daddy is going well. To me, it just gets better and better. Soon (mid May) we will have a little boy as well. I would suspect that our schedules will change even more. But that will be fun.

All the best to the 3 of you, and again thank you for the kind note. Hope to see you on the start line again soon...fit or not.

Roger