Header

Header

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The TTT

As I follow the Tour this year (and Jessi thinks that I may follow it too much) I am on the fence as to whether there is a rivalry between Contador and Lance, or if this is something that is being created by the media to stimulate interest. Regardless, it makes it fun to watch.

Say what you want to about Lance...he has brought life back to cycling and the Tour. Any company associated with the Tour, or cycling, would be an idiot to say that Lance has been bad for the sport. That also including his comeback.

I am an American, therefore I like it when Americans do well. Especially when we tend to be the blame for all the world's problems, and then asked to help fix the ones we are not connected to. That's a completely different rant.

A few points:
  • If it wasn't for Lance, Contador would not have the amazing powerhouse team he has now. Many of those riders came on because of Lance. The only one missing is Chris Horner (TOTAL political move, the team would be stronger with Horner)
  • Lance is not taking any money from the Team for his racing.
  • Lance, in all that he says, supports Contador, but does not ever say that he (Lance) is not worthy of being the leader.
  • Lance recently posted this regarding Contador, "And they might need to repair the pavement on the sections where Alberto was pulling. All in all, great day." - Lance Armstrong
The bigger question is does Contador support Lance in the same way? There is no doubt that Lance is a classier athlete both in the peloton as well as the media.

After TTT awards, it was Lance that stayed after and shook the hands of all the high officials on the podium. It was Lance that congratulated each and every member on the TTT squad after the TTT...except Contador since Contador went somewhere else after finishing.

Lance is a week younger than me...that gives me hope that just because I am 37, I can still accomplish great things.

The following pics from today's TTT. I think a lot of them tell a little story.


No matter how good you are, 2 pieces of toilet paper stuffed up your nose before a race is not a good look.

Still the center

We have seen this determined look before...I think it was around 1999-2005. I could be wrong.


A look of contentment and what's to come
Is this a picture of Lance or Contador :)



Who is the center, and who is holding the "prize?"


Ben Stiller...do you realy think that he was there to hand Fabian the yellow jersey? I think the thought was there would be someone else receiving it. Not to mention he is wearing a Livestrong bracelet.






As comfortable as they come

4 comments:

jessithompson said...

I love Christmas because Emma is so excited for Santa to come to our house that she can barely contain herself. Her anticipation is contagious and makes the whole season one of my favorites of the year.

I love the Tour because YOU are so excited for the possibility of Lance comin' back that you can barely contain yourself. Your anticipation is contagious and year after year makes a Tour-lover out of me.

Just watching you watch the tour makes me smile...

I thought you might actually jump out of your skin yesterday when Lance was in the breakaway. Just the proof you needed that old guys can still teach those youngins a thing or two. :)

I love you, freak.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about Lance and his comeback! Great post! I love it too and I am cracking up about Jessi's post about your enthusiasm. I have to admit I fell off the bandwagon the last few years when Lance was out, but now I am sucked in and loving it. He has really brought a name back to the sport after the doping scandals seemed to overtake it. Rock on Lance! (and Roger!) :) ~Laura

BRFOOT said...

Great post Roger! Some astute observations. As I watched the finish I thought it was another magnanomous gesture on Lances part to let Alberto pull accross the line. I think it showed that he totally trusts everyone on HIS team to do their part.
Can't wait for the mountains.

M-Dot said...

Thank you Roger for your post. It is great to see all of the hoopla about the tour.
I am a big Lance fan and can't wait for the mountain passes it'll be exciting to watch.
He is a true sportsman.