Header

Header

Monday, June 15, 2009

Blue Lake Triathlon...and a lot of pics

Today was our anniversary
Wow, what a great anniversary weekend Jessi and I had. Spending it with some of our friends and racing a triathlon. Pretty good if you like that kind of stuff I guess.

This weekend would find us on the outskirts of Portland at the very popular Blue Lake Triathlon on Sunday along with 1000 other people racing the Oly and sprint tris. We headed over on Friday after school. It should have been the last day of school, but thanks to those wonderful 5 snow days, we would be returning to school on Monday. So in the Excursion were Jessi, Emma, Steve, Tiffany, and Eric. This would be Eric’s first Oly race. So he was VERY excited about this often asking if maybe he could do the whole course just to make sure he was ready :).
Very nice dinner at a secret restaurant

Livin' it up at the Quality Inn

We stayed at a pretty decent place that had a continental breakfast. One that I never get to totally tear up. This one had all the fine fixins…donuts, waffles, dainishes…yum. Buuut, I would have to refrain and have more sensible breakfasts. But it’s fun to window shop.
Steve in his race, runnin' strong
Saturday was the Sprint race where Steve participated. He wanted to do the Oly race, but he would be racing IM Cda the following weekend and a 10k run takes a little out of the legs. So he decided to test his new bike on the Sprint course. He ended up rocking it and getting 7th overall and having a very solid race. It’s fun to watch friends race. Normally they are racing with you and you never get to see them or cheer them on. Steve has worked hard all season and I am excited to see how IM Cda goes for him.

On race morning Natalie, Eric, Tiffany and I loaded up the rig and headed to the course. Tric, Steve, and Emma would soon follow and make up the cheer squad.
Loaded in the Excursion race morning

Eric REALLY excited for his first Oly race
Tim, Eric, and Tiffany

Getting on the Helix in preparation for the swim


I knew the racks were numbered but wanted to get a decent spot. In all reality, most spots are decent. You don’t spend too much time there hopefully. After I racked my bike I unloaded all my stuff and went for a short run to get away from all the chaos and other peoples’ nerves that somehow impact me. I felt a little sluggish, but that always seems to be the case race morning. I feel like lounging around and just walking everywhere. I am in major slo-mo. I ran into some other Tri Fusion athletes…Matt and Jessie. Matt always has some random observation that are kinda funny and this would be a big race for Jessie. Tim was there too with his wife Andie and newborn Elise.
Andie and Elise...hardcore.

Jessie, Matt, Trisha, and Emma

I have raced this event for the past 3 years and have come to really enjoy the event. It is early enough to establish a baseline. I am not one for flat bike courses because it normally means that there will be a lot of drafting. But I have never really seen that to be a problem at Blue Lake. It does create a great opportunity to test some thresholds and compare from year to year. It has normally been a pretty fast course for me and I have had some good splits there on the bike. The run is flat too. But if you do too much work on the bike, it’s very easy to get run down, and I know I can get run down :)
A quick pre-race good luck kiss...we all need these

The race started at 8:00am in water that was about 71 degrees and air temp that was 60 with an overcast sky. Not too bad really. Would have like to see some rain, but you can’t have it all. In the elite wave, there were about 15 I think. We lined up and took off. I went out fairly hard, or quick, and got passed about 200 meters in by Matt Berg. Then I got passed by another guy and got on his feet. Only problem was his feet kept going from side to side in the lake, i.e. was not swimming straight. So I maintained my line and would catch up to him and then he would get away, then I would catch him again. We made the turn for the finish and as he drifted off course, I swam straight and was 2nd out of the water. I knew Matt was ahead, but I did not think by more than a minute. I saw him in T1 and caught up to him. He left transition about 4 seconds ahead, so I closed almost all of my deficit I had from the swim.
Heading out of T1
As I was putting my feet in my shoes on the bike, Matt went by and got back the 4 seconds that I got back at the mount line. I eventually caught him again and passed him about 1 mile into the bike. Then it was pretty much open road for 24 miles. Well, and a motorcycle. I locked into a steady effort that I felt I could maintain. At the last turnaround I took a split to 2nd (still Matt) and realized I had a pretty good gap, but I thought I would need more time. With about 9 miles to go, I picked it up a bit and pressed on to the finish. I ended up with one of my fastest 40k bike splits, and highest power output as well. I was pretty excited about that.
Coming into T2

Emma, my super cheer squad...the "BEST" cheerer out there hands down

I rolled into T2 and was greeted by many spectators cheering me on. I was really impressed. There must have been 100 people right ON the dismount line. I cruised in and threw on my K-Swiss K’onas and was off. I normally feel slow in the first mile and know that I just need to get settled in.
Heading out on the run
I could see the 5 that were behind me coming in and realized I have about 3:30 on 2nd, so that gave me a little breathing room. I ran to the turn and was feeling good. I felt like I got going from mile 3 to 4 when I saw my mile split I realized that the mile markers may be off because it was a little faster than I was running. But it really did not matter. At this point I had about 4 minutes on 2nd, and knew that I just needed to keep doing what I’m doing…nothing stupid. Just run my race. I saw the first woman on the way out and knew Jessi would be close behind. I cheered her on and she was looking good. I came into the final quarter mile and was pretty excited knowing that I would defend the number 1 I was wearing this time.


Running along the lake...nice and cool

After crossing the line, I grabbed a bottle of water and headed out on the course to cheer some friends on as well as Jessi. I saw Tiffany and ran with her for a mile or so and then ran a bit with Jessi on the way back. Tim was close to her so I was able to throw some cheers his way too. I ran with Jessi for about a mile before she took off down the last ¾ mile. I headed to the finish to see them all come in.
Post Race Winnings

It was my fastest true Oly race I have ever done. I was happy with all my splits. None of them were earth shattering…well, maybe the bike a little, but they were consistent and efforts that I “should” be able to replicate in future races. There was never a time I felt like I was racing out of my control. So that feels promising.

After the race, we hit the local Dairy Queen and then a Carl’s Jr. 3 hours down the road. Love post race food. We had a very eventful trip down there with some hilarious happenings. A few memorable moment were:

1. Tiffany imitating what it sounds like when doves cry and making this mournful pigeon sound
2. Dropping Steve off at the Medical Lake exit and told him he needed to ride the rest of the way home at 8:30pm (30 miles) on our way back to Spokane…and he did.
3. Having Eric read a 20 minute story off his phone that literally did not have a conclusion about a guy named Tucker Max.

Another amazing trip with great people. Races are a lot of fun, but they are even better when you share them with friends, on your anniversary, and end up setting a PR. That’s a good weekend.

Hope your weekends are great, and thanks for all of your cheers out there.

9 comments:

jessithompson said...

You deserve all of this. You have worked your ass off and trained incredibly consistently and tweaked and tweaked... never satisfied, always shooting to be better. I love that about you.

That's why you're setting PRs at almost 38 years old. Friggin' impressive, babe.

It was a great weekend in every way. Thanks for all the support you give me on and off the course to help me grow as an athlete and a person. I couldn't do it (any of it) without you.

12 years and going strong, baby.

Steve said...

Congrats on another qwesome race. It is definitely different watching from the sidelines and hearing everyone talk about this "Roger Thompson guy". You killed it out there and it was well deserved.

Thanks for heading down early and driving the entire way.

Steve

Matt said...

Solid Race and Happy Anniversery! You look very into reading the phone book...Man 27 MPH on the bike that is flying, great work Roger!

Anonymous said...

Roger, I did my first tri ever at blue lake last weekend, and it was something else to see you going the other way in the second half of the bike. You were all by yourself, hammering away, very impressive. You had a ridiculous gap, all I could think was "wow". Good luck with the rest of your season, I will be following and rooting for you.

Dan

Tiffany said...

Robbie, I really don't know what to say other than you are ffast! That first f is not a typo! Seriously incredible. I'm thrilled for you that you had such a stellar race! Way to go! It was pretty cool seeing you on the bike and then waiting, and waiting, and waiting for second place to finally show up. You are such an incredible athlete and it's really fun to watch you race.

Thanks again for lugging all of us down there and for such a great trip! I can't think of a better crew to race with! Can't wait for the next one!

W said...

Roger, very nice race!

Waylin McCurley

Ben Greenfield said...

Freakin A. Fazzzzt. So did you get a motorcycle on the run too?

Josh said...

For the speed you were going on the bike, you might as well have been riding a motorcycle! Nice work out there!

jessithompson said...

Saw this race report on RaceCenter.com (slightly edited to fit)


Race Report: 2009 Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon
(6-17-09) Submitted by Dave Campbell -

The traditional Northwest season opener... 500 athletes competing Sunday (with over 800 on Saturday in the sprint events) experienced a warm lake, cool conditions, and the super hot riding of Roger Thompson of Spokane. Holy ultra bike throw down, Batman!!! Thompson recorded what, in my eleven consecutive Blue Lake participations, is the fastest bike split I have ever seen here... 54 minutes flat for 40km! His 27.11 mph average was at least one mile per hour faster than anyone else in the field. To put that in perspective I won two State Masters TT titles in recent years on similar courses (no swim, no wet shorts, no need to eat, drink, and prepare for a run) in MUCH slower times. Wow! Needless to say the race was for second place!

18-year-old Connor McCarroll (Portland) and 42-year-old Mac Skimmin (Seattle) led out of the 70 degree water in a blistering 18:04 with the first of the overall contenders Matt Berg of Milwaukee (in his first road triathlon appearance of the year) in 8th (19:49) and Thompson only 20 seconds and two places behind. 16-year-old Taylor Lakey of Beaverton was the first woman in 19:39 right in front of the 36-year-old Berg.

Thompson, who reported feeling really great on the bike, quickly assumed the lead on the relatively wind free and flat course on Marine Drive along the Columbia River.

While Thompson disappeared down the road, Berg rode the third best bike on the day (57:27) to move solidly into second while 21-year-old Cameron Dorn of Waterloo, SC, a convincing winner of Saturday's Sprint, race stayed closest to Thompson (55:57) to move into third.

The fastest run of the day belonged to Portland's 36-year-old Chris Ramsey who charged up from 7th up to 4th in 36:12. Thompson, nonetheless was untouchable, pulling away still with the fifth fastest run (37:12) to break the tape in a jaw-dropping 1:53:54. The large crowd at the finish line had to wait over four minutes for the consistently strong Matt Berg to cross second in 1:58:22 with both in the 35-39 group. Dorn finished his impressive weekend double third in 2:00:41, winning the 20-24 age group and 5th overall David Gettle (Weiser, ID) tops in 25-29 in 2:03:55. I was the top Master and 40-44, 2:05:15 and 10th overall after struggling mightily on the run. Indicative of the very competitive nature of the event, only 50 seconds separated the last five places in the top ten overall!

The fastest women's runner was 30-year-old local Kaytee Petross, whose 41:14 brought her up from 8th off the bike to 4th overall and a win in her age group. It was the second best run, however (41:47) by 28-year-old Lara Brown of Portland that made the biggest difference, catching long-time leader Magness in the final stretch of the run for a narrow 17 second victory in 2:11:18. Magness' amazing performance netted her the Masters victory as well. Only eight seconds back was Karen Oppenheimer who triumphed in the 40-44 group with the top five rounded out by the ageless Bridget Dawson (51!) in 2:16:51. Chantel Efraimson won the 35-39 age group in 2:17:05, sixth overall.

Blue Lake seems to be the one race where all the top Washington, Oregon, and Idaho athletes meet head to head for an important test of their fitness (and that of their rivals!) before heading in different directions (and distances) for the summer months. For some that means Lake Stevens or Ironman Couer d'Alene but for me that will mean my favorite race in the whole tri world... Pacific Crest! Hope to see you there! Rest up, get fast, and get ready because summer race season is upon us.