Header

Header

Monday, February 16, 2009

Emma’s First Ride of the Year

Once again, Emma ceases to amaze me. After 2 days of alpine skiing at Schweitzer, and skiing the steeps, the ice, the powder, and trees, she comes home and wants to ride her bike on the trainer. Oh, it gets better…she wants to do it while watching the Tour of California. Are you kidding? Are there cameras around watching me? Is this a joke someone is playing on ME? It just brings a tear to my eye.
So I got one of the trainers from the basement and her 50lb bike from the garage. While doing this Emma was getting on her cycling gear and her nutrition for the ride (e.g. a waterbottle). I got her bike set up on the trainer, with many books stacked under the front wheel to bring it level with the rear wheel. I don’t think they really make indoor trainers for bikes this size. Just don’t think there is a huge market for them. Once set up, off she went.

She rode for about 15-20 minutes at a variety of intensities…set by her of course. She did want me to tell her when 2 minutes were up because she wanted to do some ‘fast pedals’ and then wanted to do some lower cadence tempo intervals. I am not making this up…these are HER words. You can verify this with Jessi. She was holding back the laughter. Again, laughter in amazement.

This, again, shows me that kids model what they see their parents do, and the people their parents associate with. I know that many of your eyebrows just went up as the rolladex in your mind is scrolling through all your friends that may not necessarily be ‘good influences’ on your children. Don’t worry, Emma has those too. But it’s always a relief when she reflects on ‘good choices’ and choices that kids her age, and adults, make that are not necessarily good ones. That’s pretty rewarding.
Emma is the benefactor of many people’s love…friends and family alike. We know that we are fortunate to have such a great support system for her. And obviously so is she.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Too cute. Did you make sure to set the resistance on the back wheel pretty tight:)

You two are blessed with a wonderful child who has a huge spot in not only mine but many peoples hearts.

Just wait until she wants a little pink headlamp to go running while it is snowing and dark outside.

Trish said...

Once again, Emma amazes us all! I LOVE that she wanted to ride her trainer and watch Tour de Cali! Too cute! I think that it is so wonderful that you and Jessi model such an active and healthy lifestyle and that Emma already wants that too. You Thompsons are something else! I agree with Steve, Emma is held near and dear to all our hearts! I love that girl!

Tiffany said...

There really are no words. Unreal and very cool! It's neat to watch her love for the sport grow with every "party" you have at your house. :)

Unknown said...

Emma is super cute! I think she's onto something there, with trainers for kids and pink streamers for grown-up's trainers.

Anonymous said...

I think she's ready for skiing the trees! We'll see how that goes. She is indeed a marvel, and she has terrific coaches all around her.

Love,
Tim