Header

Header

Sunday, August 17, 2008


Some of you have asked if I was ever going to post the pics from the Cda Tri... yes, I 'plan' to. I have been just a bit pre disposed the last few days... and that's not necessarily a good thing. I was reminded just how good a bathroom tile floor feels against the face.

I don't know what it was, or how it happened, but Jessi left for Seattle on Tuesday and I got up Wednesday morning at 4:45am to swim. My stomach felt bloated and tight, and somewhat sour. But I was not going to use some 'sissy' excuse not to get in a swim. So I got down there and put in a solid effort. I felt pretty good really. But my stomach just felt sour.

I eventually got home and went straight to bed. I left on all my clothes and pulled the covers up over my head because I was cold. Not good. I was shivering and was not hungry and could not fathom the thought of drinking anything. I fell asleep for a bit, woke up, fell asleep... the typical cycle. Then it was time. The thing that I thought I would avoid, I could not. I was summoned to the bathroom by the rapid watering of my mouth. I made a quick exit of the bed straight to the bathroom. I will avoid the details because we have all been there. But my body heaved for what seemed like eternity ridding itself of some demon that had found its way into my body. It felt like a Volkswagen bus, but it resembled everything I had eaten from the day prior. After my body performed this amazing physical feat the yielded something that maggots would turn their nose up to, I collapsed on the bathroom floor. My face was covered in sweat and I felt like I just crossed the finish line at IM Cda (not Hawaii, you really have to experience that). I was finding comfort in that floor. I loved that floor. That floor has been so good to me today... always there when I needed it, an open ear for me to rationlize why I thought I was dieing. Or justifying why I should call 911. I also started to remember how bathroom floors felt in the ol' college days. However, they were not nearly as clean. But you snuggled up to them just the same. I ended up losing another 5 pounds during this affair. Granted, mostly water.

I ended up in bed for the next few days with fluids exiting me from multiple directions. It was so frustrating. Here I felt like I needed to get back at it, and I was thrown back into bed. I have contemplated on hanging up the season because of the sub par training I have had since Worlds in June. It seems like it might be a good choice rather than continuing to try and 'get back' with so many obstacles. I was convinced that once mid July hit I would be back at it... but I haven't. My training has been hit and miss because of many things I have let get in the way, and things that I simply could not avoid. All choices I suspect. As I tell so many people I work with, you cannot expect a 100% performance when you only put in a 60% effort in preparation. It's really simple math. I don't know the exact formula, but you get the idea. The final races I have this year are Nationals and Best of the US. Two races that require you to be at your best. Right now I am searching for mediocre. These are struggles that we all face. Some call it motivation, some call it desire. Call it what you want, but it requires you to dig deep and figure out 'why' you do something. What calls you to do what you do? It's at these times that we often find out the truth.

I have been wondering if I was fighting off this bug at the Cda tri as well. I really don't know. I would suspect not since Cda tri was on Saturday, and this hit me on Tuesday night (3 days). Regardless, I was reminded how important adequate fluid intake is. During this hot season, it's so crucial to stay on top of your hydration daily... not just the 2 days leading up to a race.

Yesterday (Saturday) I was finally able to get back out and start training again. I went for a little run late in the evening. It was nice to get out, but I am sore today. I think my body is still dehydrated and running on a dehydrated body sure is tough on it. You feel like you raced a 1/2 marathon the day prior not mater how hard you went.

So, that's what's up. I love my family, love my life, and love the life that triathlon, and sport, brings into so many people's lives. As I tell my students every year many times, 'The choices you make today, mold you into who you are tomorrow... choose wisely.'

I would be a bit self absorbed if I did not mention the people that helped me get through my illness. Big thanks to my mom, Madison, Rick Phillips, Natalie, Greg, Phaedra, and Kris who all offered their support with their food and taking Emma so I could rest. And obviously a huge thank you to Jessi who had to put up with this blob of a person and always gets me healthy every time. She always seems to know that I don't take care of my body even if I say I am. No foolin' her, sh knows me all to well. I am a wimp really. I just have a lot of people holding me up and making me look good. But most of you know that.

11 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Ahhh, the bathroom floor - I remember it well.

Glad to hear that you seem to be on the mend.

Laura and company said...

I'm grudgingly coming to the same conclusion about effort and performance needing to be a little closer to equal. It's the old adage...the harder I work, the luckier I get. But in a battle of wills, the stomach flu almost ALWAYS wins. You didn't exactly choose the bathroom floor over your bike or the pool. You'll be back in no time.

Tiffany said...

I'm so sorry you were sick! Your writing about the bathroom floor was pretty funny, though! Glad to see you're on the mend. Keep packing those pounds on you little Ethiopian, you!

Tiffany said...

By the way, you are SO right. You are a total wimp and I'm the one who holds you up at all those races you win first place at. I'm just glad you're finally giving me the credit I deserve! ;)

jessithompson said...

Glad you're on the mend, baby. You're a real pain in the butt when you're sick ;). It's hard to watch you feel so lousy... love you.

Trish said...

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better! I am a firm believer that throwing up is the worst thing in the world. You have pretty amazing family and friends to take care of you when you are a wimp! You may have to go on a strict diet of cookie milkshakes to put those 5 pounds back on ;)

M-Dot said...

Roger;

So sorry to hear how ill you were. The bathroom floor can be so comfortable when you feel like you just threw your feet up out of your mouth.
If anyone understands about the lack of training it would be a list of injured sad triathletes :) I think you'll find as Emma grows and life changes. Things will get in the way and your priorities change and what once was highly important becomes something on the end of the list.
It's normal to be upset. But, you too will find a way through this and still find a way to do it. But, maybe not as intensley as you once did.
Life is short live it to the fullest and enjoy it. If you are not finding joy in what you are doing then you need to reevaluate.
On the other hand I think you're just exhausted from all the hard work you and Jessie put into life and you may need sometime to gather yourself so you can put all your ducks in a row again. I hope that helps you out. You'll find it again I know it to be true, catch your breath friend and rest a bit do what YOU need to do.

Michelle

Michael W. Bergquist said...

Sorry to hear that you were ill. Ironically, I just went through a pretty bad spell last week too and am still not back to normal. I hope you got it out of your system and have smooth sailing until Nationals and BOUS. Are you going to get a test run of the Nationals course at Scoggins Valley? I won't be able to make it and would be glad to get your perspective since I haven't been there for so many years. See 'ya out there, somewhere down the road. If you need any torture during training, then let me know.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we know. Some of us have been holding you up since you wuz jus a lil kid. How many years now for me? Hm... about 30? Jeez, man, get it together!!!

Most of us have been "up close, and personal" with tile floors. Yuk.

Seriously, sorry you have been feeling so crummy. Glad to hear that you're on the mend.

Leni

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

Geeze...so really I am the wimp, when I sneeze I can sideline my training for a few days, give me the stomach flu and that would buy me at least a month off! And what a treat to have so many friends stepping up to help you in your time of need...assuming none had to clean the bathroom floor?

Since this post was in mid August and considering it's now Sept. you are obviously back in the saddle, again.

Kelli

Anonymous said...

So glad you pulled it together and shined like a pro at Nationals, Roger. CONGRATULATIONS,DUDE!!! Terrific times and (I assume) qualification to represent the US at worlds. We're so proud of you, Roger!!

Tim, Kris and Anna