Header

Header

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Back from the Dead

First off, I have to say thak you all for the prayers and heart felt comments while I have been down and out. It was a tough battle, but one that I knew, in time, I would emerge from. I stayed away from medications (other than ibuprofen) as much as possible and tried to let the flu run its course. On Friday I visited the ER, and was told to hang in there. Then, 3 days later on Monday, I visited Group Health, where I was told that it still looked viral. Then again on the following Friday I went to Urgent Care after work where I was told that it looked like it had gone into a secondary bacterial infection and I was put on antibiotics. In a couple short days, I was feeling better. Over the weekend I was able to get in 2 rides and one long run. It felt good, though I was quite sore from the run since I had not run for 2 weeks…same goes for swimming. So, I am a little behind in my training, but way ahead in my recovery.

It is so important to take care of yourself when you are sick and not try to get in a little training which impedes your body from recovering. I know many of you have heard me say this, but I was told by one of my great cycling coaches back in 1986, Calvin Jones, who said, “For every day you train when you are sick, it adds on 3 more days of recovery.” Now, I don’t know how scientifically backed that is, but it seems to hold true.

So this time around, I did nothing while I was sick… not that I had a choice to. But once I was on antibiotics, I thought I might be in the clear. However, I would be lying if I did not say that I did go for one ride on my new bike at the end of my flu. I don’t think that helped at all, and I think that spawned the coughing that just would not go away and a few more days of illness... ironic huh? But I was able to ride my new steed. I was a little concerned that I would have a bad experience since I was recovering from being sick, and I would feel weak and slow. Nope… just wanted to go faster.

So now I am back in full swing, getting in all my workouts and feeling pretty good. I swam for the first time in 2 weeks today and I have to say that it did not feel all that welcoming. I did not even take splits because I did not want to know how much swimming fitness I had lost. I just did the workout and was happy to be in the pool again. Fortunately a guy, with knee length Bermuda shorts jumped in the lane next to me that kicked like a ferry boat. Needless to say, he was not going very fast, so that made me feel mentally better. Or at least I was moving faster than him.

I was able to sneak in a short run too that did not feel too great. Second run in over 2 weeks. I am still sore from my Sunday run. But that will come back eventually.

So, that is where I am. 2 weeks out from my Team Timex camp debut, missed 2 races (congrats to Ben and Michael for two amazing performances at 2 different races), and the rest of the season ahead of me. I am a little disappointed with getting sick, but that’s just a part of life. I really felt that I was making some HUGE progress in my swimming and running. And now I feel like I have lost quite a bit. But I had it once before, and I will have it again. It’s just about getting out there and doing it… and that is something that I know I can do. Well, most of the time.

Hope all of your training is going well. The race season is here. Let the fun begin.

5 comments:

jessithompson said...

Glad you're back, baby! Wish I could be half as fast as you on your sick days on my well days. One of the benefits of being ill is a renewed mental vigor to go at it... you'll be back into the swing of things in no time. Love you! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear tht you are finally feeling better and able to get back on the 'steed', on the road, and in the pool. You will recover quickly since you followed Calvin's advice and will be back in top form soon.
The prayers are always the best treatment.
Love, Mom

Steve said...

Great to hear you finally be the sickness. But I have to admit that the Sunday swim would have been brutal if you were there and healthy. Maybe by the time you get back to where you were I will have just enough conditioning to not get lapped but I doubt it:)

Kim said...

Rog- you are amazing. Don't worry about the time lost...you'll be back in no time. I think the Lord has a way of adding a little blessing to those who have let go and worked on just getting back to healthy!!

Good luck in the next week...I bet it will feel a little tougher, but no different than the piano I pulled on my first attempt at running this spring!!

K

Linda Seppa Salisbury said...

Rog-
I'm so glad that you are feeling better and back at training and life! This is a nasty bug, and it can hang on. I'm on round two of antibiotics, but am getting better every day!

I look forward to seeing you race this year!

Love Linda