Header

Header

Friday, February 01, 2008

Thursday Headlamp Run

So I stand corrected on making the statement that we would be back at school on Thursday... we weren't and we are not on Friday either. As I sit here and write this post (after getting up at 9:30am), I see a traditional Spokane winter day and the roads are, well, are fine. I commend the district for making such a 'wise' decision in giving us more vacation, I mean, making a safe decision for the students and staff. There is no way that I could make it 2 miles to work right now. But somehow I was able to make it out the to valley to do some shopping, and had to wash the the car because of how wet and dirty the roads have been. I will probably make it up skiing today as well. Nonetheless, I appreciate the days off this week. I just wish I had more to show for it other than a sore back from all the snow blowing I have been doing. In the month of January, we attended school for 2 weeks. Though being a teacher does have some downfalls, it sure has some unexpected perks too.

Since I though school was on yesterday, I was up at 5:00am to see the large dump of snow we were supposed to get, which amounted to 3 inches. I also wanted to get a ride in on the trainer before school, so this would allow me to do that. But Jessi checked the Mead website, and school was closed for Thursday. You are kidding me? I honestly could not believe it... but I'll take it. So I cleared the driveway, the road, and a couple other driveways and then got on the bike for my training for the day. The ride went well and I am feeling good.

Also there was another great Headlamp Run hosted by the Gallaghers. The turnout was limited this week because of what I believe to be the road conditions. But I have to say that the loop we run was in fine shape. It had been plowed in the recent day(s) so running with tractions devices made it quite enjoyable. You can always find reasons not to workout. But when the opportunity comes to run with a group of friends, I'll always take it. These Thursday runs have turned out to be a lot of fun. You can always count on the Gallaghers being there. But then again, it is at their house.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm so sorry to hear your back hurts from using your snow blower! Oh wait, I have been shoveling this s*&%! Glad you're getting your work outs in on these snow days. Missed you today in the pool and lifting! See you next time?

jessithompson said...

I love the headlamp runs too... I think they're not only fun, but a great workout.

A comment you made in this post is so true - you can always find reasons not to workout.

I think this is worthy of a comment.

I love that in my 'growth' into an athlete, that you have always modeled this attitude for me. You never make excuses for missing a workout and you never get mad or frustrated at me or 'life' because of choices that you make regarding your exercise and workouts.

You have often called me on my 'excuses' (which I appreciate) and have helped me re-work my thinking... it's all about priorities. There are times where other priorities take precedence as they should, but it's always a choice. Life doesn't force you out of exercise (or anything else that you're working on) - we choose it. Our choices are ours, but it's definitely a shift in thinking. It's so much easier to be the 'victim'. It's hard to be honest with yourself when you know you're being just plain lazy or not using your time well.

I love you. You inspire me to be a better person.

Me